What is PortalAgent?
PortalAgent is an adware application that displays unwanted advertisements in large numbers. The virus displays ads overlapping with the necessary information in order to force users to visit the fake URL of the promoted search engine. The virus is designed for users of the Mac device and is often spread through a fake installer for Adobe Flash Player.
We warn you that the first sign of the presence of an ad virus is a sharp display of banners, pop-ups, polls, coupons in large quantities. Clicking on ads can open many untrustworthy pages and install malicious apps.
The only way to prevent MAK from opening a fake address every time you open a new window and enter a search query is to remove the virus.
How to Remove PortalAgent
- Remove PortalAgent Automatically
- Delete Rogue Applications
- Remove PortalAgent From Browsers
- How to Protect Your PC From Other Adware
Remove PortalAgent Automatically
To quickly remove PortalAgent from your Mac OS you may run a scan with Norton; it is a great antivirus that may be able to remove PortalAgent from your Mac.
Other apps that might be able to remove PortalAgent from Mac :
Go to Applications folder and delete PortalAgent and other new and suspicious apps.
- On the top menu select Go => Applications.
- Drag an unwanted application to the Trash bin.
- Right-click on the Trash and select Empty Trash.
Remove PortalAgent from browsers:
Remove PortalAgent and another suspicious extensions, then change browsers’ homepage, new tab page, start page and default search engine.
Remove PortalAgent from Safari:
- On the top menu select Safari => Preferences.
- Select Extensions tab.
- Select an extension you want to delete and click Uninstall button next to it.
Remove PortalAgent from Google Chrome:
- Click on three dots menu button .
- Select More tools => Extensions.
- Find an extension you want to delete and click REMOVE under it.
- Click Remove in the dialog box.
Remove PortalAgent from Mozilla Firefox:
- Click on menu button and select Add-ons.
- Go to Extensions tab.
- To uninstall an add-on, click on Remove button next to it.
How to Protect Your Mac From PortalAgent and Other Adware:
- Get a powerful anti-malware software, capable of detecting and eliminating PUPs. Having several on-demand scanners would be a good idea too.
- Keep your OS, browsers and se PortalAgent curity software up to date. Malware creators find new browser and OS vulnerabilities to exploit all the time. Software writers, in turn, release patches and updates to get rid of the known vulnerabilities and lesser the chance of malware penetration. Antivirus program’s signature databases get updated every day and even more often to include new virus signatures.
- Download and use uBlock Origin, Adblock, Adblock Plus or one of the similar trustworthy extensions for blocking third-party advertisements on web-sites.
- Don’t download software from unverified web-sites. You can easily download a trojan (malware that pretends to be a useful application); or some unwanted programs could get installed along with the app.
- When installing freeware or shareware, be sensible and don’t rush through the process. Choose Custom or Advanced installation mode, look for checkboxes that ask for your permission to install third-party apps and uncheck them, read End User License Agreement to make sure nothing else is going to get installed. You can make exceptions for the aps you know and trust, of course. If declining from installing unwanted programs is not possible, we advise you to cancel the installation completely.