What is Scarab-Osk Ransomware?
Scarab-Osk (Osk) is yet another cryptovirus from Scarab family which lures money by blackmailing. This ransomware encrypts the most important data on user’s computer, renaming affected files and adding .osk extension. For example, file “mydoc.doc” will turn into “2wHNr2=iP509GBmqO50aTPAu2mNNRi4fA2soVFTkoC4FJUQNMiYgc.osk”. Cybercriminals also provide victims with instructions to return encrypted files, leaving a ransom note that is placed on the desktop.
The contents of the ransom note (HOW TO RECOVER ENCRYPTED FILES.TXT):
YOUR FILES ARE CRYPTED!
Your personal identifier
Your documents, photos, databases, saving in games and other important data were encrypted.
Data recovery requires a decryptor.
To receive the decryptor, you should send an e-mail to email@example.com
In the letter, indicate your personal identifier (see At the beginning of this document).
If I can not connect through the mail, I can not
* Register on the site http://bitmsg.me (online delivery service Bitmessage)
* Send an email to BM-2cUvL7bCPmMZc7QonNfrdLQesmpxX9Sr53 with your email and ID of the identifier
Next, you pay the cost of the decryptor. In the reply letter you will receive the address Bitcoin-purse, for which it is necessary to perform the transfer of money in the amount of 0,013 bitcoin ( 0,013 BTC ~ 100 $ ).
If you do not have bitocoins
* Create a Bitcoin purse: https://blockchain.info/en/wallet/new
* Acquire the Bitcoin crypto currency:
https://localbitcoins.com/buy_bitcoins (Visa / MasterCard, etc.)
https://www.bitcoin.it/wiki (instruction for beginners)
* Send 0,013 BTC to the address in the email address
When the money transfer is confirmed, you will receive a file decryption for your computer.
After starting the decryption program, all your files will be restored.
* Do not attempt to uninstall the program or run antivirus software
* Attempts to self-decrypt files will result in the loss of your data
* Decoders of other users are incompatible with your data, as each user unique encryption key
The note stated that to recover your files, you should pay the ransom at a rate of 0,013 BTC (~ $100). Although the price is small, we still urge you not to contact them as it’s fraught with money loss. The thing is that malefactors often disappear once money is transferred. But, don’t despair, the virus doesn’t delete your files which means you have a good chance to get them back. Also, keep in mind that the file decryption is meaningless unless the virus is on a computer. Therefore, you should first stay focused on removing Scarab-Osk Ransomware. Here you’ll find a detailed instruction to remove Scarab-Osk Ransomware and recover your files for free.
How Scarab-Osk ransomware gets on your PC?
This type of virus can be infiltrated through several methods, including a freeware software, spam messages, trojans, software from dangerous sources, etc. A process of installation can start hidden and automatically. Besides that, some malware programs can mark Scarab-Osk Ransomware as a trusted software program.
What to do if your PC is infected with Scarab-Osk ransomware
As soon as you notice the presence of the ransomware on your system, you should turn your computer off. If it is possible to try to create a backup or image of your hard drive info. This may let you reserve the state of your drives in case a decryption method would be created afterward.
How to remove Scarab-Osk ransomware?
To make sure that the ransomware won’t reappear, you need to delete Scarab-Osk ransomware completely. For this, you need to remove the files and registry entries of the ransomware. We should warn you that performing some of the steps may require above-average skills, so if you don’t feel experienced enough, you may apply to the automatic removal tool.
Performing an antimalware scan with Norton would automatically search out and delete all elements related to Scarab-Osk ransomware. It is not only the easiest way to eliminate Scarab-Osk ransomware but also the safest and the most assuring one.
How to decrypt and restore .osk files
Restore files with an automatic tool
Data Recovery Pro would help you recover your files in the absence of required decryptor.
- Download Stellar Data Recovery and launch it
- Select the drive you want to recover and click START SCAN
- After scanning is finished, you are presented with a list of recoverable files found.
- Select the required files and click the Recover
Decrypt files using our decryption service
You may try using our own service for decrypting files compromised by ransomware-type viruses. The analysis of data takes 3-5 days, after which, we will let you know whether it’s decryptable or not. Note: the service is paid, payment is charged only for decryption, the analysis is free. In order to use our service, you should fill out the form listed below.
Also, please add a log file, created on your PC:
- Click “Start” and type: “cmd.exe” in the search box
- Right-click “cmd.exe” and select “Run as administrator“
- In command line, type or copy/paste following: dir C:\ /a/s > “%userprofile%\dirc.log”
- Find and attach the created “%userprofile%\dirc.log” file to the web form
Please attach encrypted text files according to the following conditions:
- number of files should not exceed 4;
- file size is not more than 8 megabytes;
- files must be from different folders;
- files must be unique.
Restore the system
- Initiate the search for system restore
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
If the above-mentioned methods didn’t help in eliminating the threat, then it’s better to rely on an automatic way of deleting Scarab-Osk Ransomware.
How to prevent ransomware infection
To prevent infection with ransomware-type viruses, you should have proper antimalware software. This method is convenient because it allows you to detect a virus before it penetrates, and therefore to avoid infection and the loss of all your data. It is capable of protecting not only home computers but also server systems in large organizations. Download antimalware program to secure your system and privacy.