What is ONI Ransomware?
ONI is a data-kidnapping virus that extorts money from victims. The scheme of the work of this virus is no different from any other ransomware. At first, it looks for ways to break into the victim’s PC and block anything that may stop the virus. Then, the encryption process starts which subsequently makes users’ data unreadable. To find out the amount of ransom, the user is offered to send dedicated ID number to their email. The point is, a lot of people fall into the trap of cyber crooks paying them money. There are a lot of cases where cybercriminals do not help their victims, even if they pay up. Remember, you are up against fraudsters so nobody will give any guarantees that they will fulfill their commitments. Hence, there is a high risk of being left without decryptor and money. Instead, you may try using this guide to remove ONI Ransomware and decrypt .ONI files without spending any money.
The principle of work of the ransomware is always the same – to encrypt files and then to require payment. ONI Ransomware encodes users’ personal files via XTEA encryption algorithm. As a result, each infected file will be renamed (HEX) and appended with “.ONI” extension. For example, file “myfamily.jpg” will turn into “352E7A8022.ONI”. Once all the data is encrypted, the ransomware creates RESTORE_ONI_FILES.txt file, where the user may find the demands of criminals:
Oops! Your files have been encrypted.
Your files are no longer accessible.
You might have been looking for any way to recover your files.
Don’t waste your time, you can’t recovery PC without our
Our email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your ID (send it to my mail):
* Only email@example.com can decrypt your files
* Trust no one firstname.lastname@example.org
* Do not attempt to uninstall the program or run anti-virus tools
* Attempts to self-encrypt files will result in loss of your data
* Decoders of other users are not compatible with your data because each user has a unique encryption key
Although ONI is a really dangerous virus, you still have a good chance to get them back. Before deciphering, you should first stay focused on removing ONI Ransomware to avoid re-infection. Once ONI Ransomware is removed, you can proceed with decryption. Both automatic and manual solution is presented here that we hope will help you remove ONI Ransomware and recover your files.
How ONI ransomware gets on your PC?
This type of virus can be infiltrated through several methods, including a freeware software, spam messages, trojans, software from dangerous sources, etc. A process of installation can start hidden and automatically. Besides that, some malware programs can mark ONI Ransomware as a trusted software program.
How to remove ONI ransomware?
To make sure that the ransomware won’t reappear, you need to delete ONI ransomware completely. For this, you need to remove the files and registry entries of the ransomware. We should warn you that performing some of the steps may require above-average skills, so if you don’t feel experienced enough, you may apply to the automatic removal tool.
Performing an antimalware scan with Norton would automatically search out and delete all elements related to ONI ransomware. It is not only the easiest way to eliminate ONI ransomware but also the safest and the most assuring one.
How to decrypt .ONI files
Restore files with Stellar Data Recovery
Stellar Data Recovery is an essential tool in the fight against ransomware-type viruses that can recover encrypted files.
- Download Stellar Data Recovery and launch it
- Select the drive you want to recover and click START SCAN
- After scanning is finished, you are presented with a list of recoverable files found.
- Select the required files and click the Recover
Decrypt files using our decryption service
You may try using our own service for decrypting files compromised by ransomware-type viruses. The analysis of data takes 3-5 days, after which, we will let you know whether it’s decryptable or not. Note: the service is paid, payment is charged only for decryption, the analysis is free. In order to use our service, you should fill out the form listed below.
Also, please add a log file, created on your PC:
- Click “Start” and type: “cmd.exe” in the search box
- Right-click “cmd.exe” and select “Run as administrator“
- In command line, type or copy/paste following: dir C:\ /a/s > “%userprofile%\dirc.log”
- Find and attach the created “%userprofile%\dirc.log” file to the web form
Please attach encrypted text files according to the following conditions:
- number of files should not exceed 4;
- file size is not more than 8 megabytes;
- files must be from different folders;
- files must be unique.
Restore the system
- Initiate the search for system restore
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
If the above-mentioned methods didn’t help in eliminating the threat, then it’s better to rely on an automatic way of deleting ONI Ransomware.
How to prevent ransomware infection
To prevent infection with ransomware-type viruses, you should have proper antimalware software. This method is convenient because it allows you to detect a virus before it penetrates, and therefore to avoid infection and the loss of all your data. It is capable of protecting not only home computers but also server systems in large organizations. Download antimalware program to secure your system and privacy.