What is GandCrab-3 Ransomware?
GandCrab-3 is a new offspring of notorious GANDCRAB V2.0 Ransomware which, like the previous one, aims to take over your personal data. For this, it uses combo AES-256 and RSA-2048 encryption algorithms that randomly create a unique key for each user. During encryption, virus adds .CRAB extension to all infected files. For example, “mydoc.doc” will turn into “mydoc.doc.CRAB”. It further places TXT file (“CRAB-DECRYPT.txt”) in each folder as well as replaces your desktop wallpaper with ransom note in which cybercriminals demand money in exchange for your files.
To decrypt files, you’re offered to perform all steps indicated on their website. This page has the countdown timer which will double the amount of ransom ($1000) when it reaches zero. Despite this, we still urge you not to contact them as it’s fraught with money loss. The thing is that malefactors often disappear once money is transferred. But, don’t despair, the virus doesn’t delete your files which means you have a good chance to get them back. First, you need to remove GandCrab-3 Ransomware and then use one of the decryption tools. Here you’ll find a detailed instruction which, hopefully, will help you.
How GandCrab-3 ransomware gets on your PC?
This type of virus can be infiltrated through several methods, including a freeware software, spam messages, trojans, software from dangerous sources, etc. A process of installation can start hidden and automatically. Besides that, some malware programs can mark GandCrab-3 Ransomware as a trusted software program.
What to do if your PC is infected with GandCrab-3 ransomware
As soon as you notice the presence of the ransomware on your system, you should turn your computer off. If it is possible to try to create a backup or image of your hard drive info. This may let you to reserve the state of your drives in case a decryption method would be created afterward.
How to remove GandCrab-3 ransomware?
To make sure that the ransomware won’t reappear, you need to delete GandCrab-3 ransomware completely. For this, you need to remove the files and registry entries of the ransomware. We should warn you that performing some of the steps may require above-average skills, so if you don’t feel experienced enough, you may apply to automatic removal tool.
Performing an antimalware scan with WiperSoft Removal Tool would automatically search out and delete all elements related to GandCrab-3 ransomware. It is not only the easiest way to eliminate GandCrab-3 ransomware but also the safest and the most assuring one.
How to decrypt and restore .CRAB files
Restore files with an automatic tool
There is a possible way to decrypt .CRAB files using Data Recovery Pro that would help you recover your files in the absence of required decryptor.
- Download Data Recovery Pro and launch it
- Select the drive you want to recover and click START SCAN
- After scanning is finished, you are presented with a list of recoverable files found.
- Select the required files and click the Recover
For those types of ransomware viruses that rather remove files than encrypt them we would suggest using Recuva program.
- Download Recuva tool and launch it
- Within the on-screen wizard choose the type of the files you want to recover
- Choose the location of the files
- Wait until the application finishes scanning
- Select the required files and click the Recover button
Decrypt files using our decryption service
You may try using our own service for decrypting files compromised by ransomware-type viruses. The analysis of data takes 3-5 days, after which, we will let you know whether it’s decryptable or not. Note: the service is paid, payment is charged only for decryption, the analysis is free. In order to use our service, you should fill out the form listed below.
Also, please add a log file, created on your PC:
- Click “Start” and type: “cmd.exe” in the search box
- Right-click “cmd.exe” and select “Run as administrator“
- In command line, type or copy/paste following: dir C:\ /a/s > “%userprofile%\dirc.log”
- Find and attach the created “%userprofile%\dirc.log” file to the web form
Please attach encrypted text files according to the following conditions:
- number of files should not exceed 4;
- file size is not more than 8 megabytes;
- files must be from different folders;
- files must be unique.
Restore the system
- Initiate the search for system restore
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
If the above-mentioned methods didn’t help in eliminating the threat, then it’s better to rely on an automatic way of deleting GandCrab-3 Ransomware.
How to prevent ransomware infection
To get avoid infection with such viruses as ransomware, we advise you to use Bitdefender Total Security. Bitdefender Total Security is a powerful antimalware software that can quickly detect and remove Scarab-Rebus Ransomware with all vicious components left among system files and registry entries to make sure that it is completely gone. Bitdefender Total Security also has a feature (HTTP monitor), allowing to block access to dangerous sites in a real-time thus preventing you from being infected in the future. Just launch the scan and Bitdefender Total Security will take care of the rest.